Sunday, December 23, 2012

Our Last Christmas

Dear Blueberry,

Our tree...all 12 feet of it!
I had an odd epiphany the other night while gazing at our Christmas tree.  It was getting late and we just spent the whole night wrapping gifts. Your mom went off to organize some pictures, and I just stood there in the silent living room, admiring our tree.

I was looking at each of our family ornaments. As you'll come to find out, your mom and I have a yearly tradition where we add an ornament to the tree that contains one of our photos from that year. 

As I passed through each of the ornaments; each one signifying a year gone by in our lives together, I realized this Christmas would be the last of its kind for our family. I couldn't but help think of the years to come, where the silent calm of this room would no longer be. Don't misinterpret what I'm saying though, what I'm trying to convey is how excited I am for the years to come! I miss that feeling of waking up on Christmas morning as a kid, and seeing all the new presents underneath the tree; the excitement as I beg my parents to start opening gifts already. I miss that because I miss being a kid, but I know that with you and possibly more brothers and/or sisters on the way, that this allows me to almost live vicariously through you. I'm excited to see you experience things for the first time, and how we'll almost be experiencing it anew as well; both as a parent, and with you.

This Christmas season will have its last silent nights for a while :)

Love,
Dad




No comments:

Post a Comment